Despite the COVID-19 pandemic, the first quarter of the year has been excellent for Redmi.
According to Canalys, a leading global technology market analyst firm, the Redmi Note 8 took the second spot in the Global Top Smartphones in that period. Only three brands figure in the list: Apple, Xiaomi, and Samsung.
Apple leads the race with its iPhone 11 shipping over 18 million units over the quarter. The second place goes to Xiaomi’s Redmi Note 8 and Redmi Note 8T which sold just over 8 million units in three months.
A few weeks ago, Xiaomi Group Vice President, Lu Weibing announced on Weibo that global sales of the Redmi Note 8 series have surpassed 30 million units.
As a comparison, the Redmi Note 7 series squatted the market for five months before hitting the 10 million unit mark.
How can we explain such a success?
The Redmi Note 8 sells like hotcakes because it is the perfect mid-range smartphone. It is affordable and yet, does not compromise on quality.
Redmi Note 8 top advantages:
- Remarkable design, High-quality construction,
- Full-HD+ screen, Gorilla Glass 5
- Huge screen, bright and with excellent contrast
- Outstanding battery life
- MIUI 11 ready
- Good camera
- 18W fast-charge support
- Standalone microSD, 3.5mm jack, FM radio, IR blaster
Redmi Note 8 is widely available in Myanmar. You can purchase the global version (4/64GB) at Yangon Mobile Store for 239,000 Ks (Black, White, Blue).
In Mandalay, Speed Mobile sells the Redmi Note 8 for 185,000 Ks (Blue,Black) and 187,000 Ks (Purple).
REDMI NOTE 8 SPECIFICATIONS
- 39-inch (2340 ×1080 pixels) Full HD+ 19:5:9 2.5D curved glass LCD screen, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Octa-Core Snapdragon 665 11nm Mobile Platform (Quad 2GHz Kryo 260 + Quad 1.8GHz Kryo 260 CPUs) with Adreno 610 GPU
- 4GB LPDDR4x RAM with 64GB (UFS 2.1) storage / 6GB LPDDR4x RAM with 64GB (UFS 2.1) storage / 128GB (UFS 2.1) storage, expandable memory up to 256GB with microSD
- Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / microSD)
- Android 9.0 (Pie) with MIUI 10
- 48MP rear camera with LED Flash, f/1.79 aperture, Samsung ISOCELL GM2 sensor, PDAF, EIS, 8MP 120° ultra-wide-angle lens with 1.12μm pixel size, 2MP depth sensor and 2MP camera for 2cm macro with 1.75μm pixel size, f/2.4 aperture
- 13MP front-facing camera with f/2.0 aperture
- Dimensions: 158.3 x 75.3×8.35mm; Weight: 190g
- Fingerprint sensor, IR sensor
- 5mm audio jack, Smart PA, FM Radio
- Splash-proof (P2i nano-coating)
- Dual 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11ac (2.4GHz + 5GHz), Bluetooth 5, GPS/ GLONASS/ Beidou, USB Type-C
- 4000mAh (typical) / 3900mAh (minimum) battery with 18W fast charging
Redmi Note 8 vs Redmi Note 8 Pro: What’s the Difference?
Both smartphones embed a waterdrop style notch and come with Gorilla Glass 5 on the front and the back.
The Note 8 features a 6.3-inch (6.39 to be exact) full-HD+ screen, whereas the Pro comes with a 6.53-inch full-HD+ display.
The Note 8 includes the octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 665 SoC. The Note 8 Pro receives MediaTek Helio G90T processor.
The Note 8 and Note 8 Pro embark quad rear cameras, but, the primary camera is different. The Note 8 includes a 48-megapixel primary camera, whereas the Note 8 Pro comes with a 64-megapixel main shooter. The other three cameras in both phones are the same: an 8-megapixel wide-angle shooter, a 2-megapixel depth camera, and a 2-megapixel macro camera.
On the front, the Redmi Note 8 holds a 13-megapixel shooter and the Redmi Note 8 Pro a 20-megapixel camera.
Memory and storage:
The Note 8 is sold with 4GB and 6GB RAM options as well as 64GB and 128GB storage versions.
The Note 8 Pro is traded with 6GB and 8GB RAM options, and 64GB and 128GB storage variants.
The Note 8 Pro comes in Mineral Grey, Pearl White, and Forest Green. The Note 8 in Dream Blue, Meteorite Black, White.
The Note 8 includes a 4,000mAh battery with 18W fast charging support and the Note 8 Pro comes with a 4,500mAh battery with 18W fast charging support. Both phones are expected to carry 18W fast chargers in the box.
The Note 8 and Note 8 Pro also share a number of specifications like dual-SIM (Nano) support, rear fingerprint sensor, MIUI 10, USB Type-C, 3.5mm audio jack, and IR blaster.